Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Vintage Kitchen: Moosewood Cookbook's Mexican Corn Bread


Yeah, a cookbook from the 70s isn't quite what I had in mind when I decided to start the Vintage Kitchen series, but those older books just haven't been catching my eye lately.  And since I was born prior to 1977, I'm not so thrilled to be calling this cookbook vintage, believe me.  However, if I were selling a blouse from the 70s on eBay I'd call it vintage, so the same applies here, right?  So, here is a nice hippie restaurant recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook, circa 1977, that I made as part of last night's dinner.  I added chopped Oaxacan pasilla chiles to the milk and egg mixture and let it sit for about a half an hour to really absorb the flavor.  Very tasty, so I'd recommend the addition of any pepper you have on hand.  

The Moosewood Cookbook, by Mollie Katzen.  ©1977. Ten Speed Press.

The Moosewood Cookbook's Mexican Corn & Cheese Bread

1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 Tbs. honey
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup finely minced onion
1 cup fresh or frozen corn (whole kernels)
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
finely chopped chile to taste (I used a very strong smoked Oaxacan pasilla, and only needed about a tablespoon worth.  Chipotle pepper would be good, s would roasted green chile or jalepeno).

Heat olive oil in a small skillet.  Add minced onion, and sauté over medium heat 5-8 minutes, or until onion is soft and translucent.  Set aside to cool.  Beat together egg, honey and milk.  Combine thoroughly together flour, corn meal, baking powder, and salt.  Combine milk mixture and cornmeal mixture.  Mix until well blended.  Add corn kernels, sautéed onions (be sure to scrape in all the excess olive oil from the pan), grated cheese and chile if using.  Mix well.  Spread into well-buttered 8-inch square pan.  Bake at 375° F for 25-30 minutes, or until brown and firm on top.

I served it with this mushroom-y barley soup.  No recipe for that because I made it up as I went along and didn't take notes.  Probably pretty standard.  I spiced it with a tiny bit of cumin, coriander seeds, sage, and yellow mustard seeds, and I added about a quarter cup of soy sauce to deepen the flavor and make it saltier.



No comments:

Post a Comment