Thursday, July 29, 2010

Project Updates

I have a tendency to start a project and then get distracted and leave it unfinished for a long time or forever.  I also have a tendency to buy vintage clothes or an old piece of furniture because I see their potential for modification, and then never get around to modifying them.  There are many reasons for this, such as a big storage shed and my low-end sewing skills, or just the fact that I'm interested in a lot of things and something new is generally more stimulating.  However, I don't want to be a person who leaves things unfinished, and so I've been making more of an effort.  During the last month I've blogged about planned DIY projects at least twice, first some vintage re-working and then some furniture painting.  While I haven't finished either, I have been consistently plugging away at them both and here are a couple of photos to prove it! 



First, I've been taking the floral silk 80s dress from a drop-waist-shoulder-padded monstrosity to a loose hip-length tunic blouse with a belt at my real waist.  It's not ready for a full reveal, but that placket above is all new.  It's been shortened and reworked along the bottom edge.  Next up I have to tackle the shoulders, always a trick.  Once the shoulder pads were removed the shoulders are too wide-set for me.  I'm worried that I'm going to make a mess of it, BUT I'm soldiering on.


I've been painting too.  One shelving unit is almost white.  It is taking a ridiculous amount of spray paint.  I always think spray paint will be the easiest way to a nice quick glossy finish.  It's not!  Ugh, hate spray paint!  It aggravates my carpal tunnel, stinks to high heaven, drips if you don't apply meticulously thin coats and takes FOREVER!   (That's my future office-current garage used only for storage.  Its currently dilapidated like everything else).

3 comments:

  1. You are so good! That dress was the one I was most curious as to what you'd do with it ... I can't wait to see the finished product!

    Also, I am desperately missing New Mexico. Breathe in the air for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about spray paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who buys things with grand plans to customise them, only to find oneself slightly scuppered on the skills front... Good on you for getting going with it all!

    ReplyDelete