Friday, April 2, 2010

Friday Musings



As a follow up to yesterday's post about Jamie Oliver, this speech he gave for TED is a condensed version of how he sees the problem (of obesity), and what we should do about it. Definitely worth 21 minutes of your weekend. (Discovered via Gala Darling's weekly Carousel post. She always has really interesting links- this week she also linked to the article below, and the articles about happiness via Sandra Bullock and the article about Polyvore were both really interesting too).

This snippet from the NYT was referenced by several of the blogs I read, so I'm not going to link to any particular person, but it interested me because the author, Dominique Browning talks about how she was constantly hungry at one point after losing her job as the editor of House & Garden. It made me wonder about the correlation of obesity and unhappiness in America. (She's not overweight, it just triggered the thought in my mind). If we are the fattest nation in the world, are we also the unhappiest? Why do people eat so much and so badly? I know that I eat to make myself feel better a lot, and that the fattest I've ever been has also been the unhappiest-- and not because I thought I was fat, it didn't help, but it wasn't the core reason, while the thinnest I've been was also the happiest.

Hmm, now that I think about it, I shop to make myself feel better too. Maybe that's the reason that our nation is so consumerist? (You know, because I'm totally indicative of all Americans).

What do you do to make yourself feel better when you aren't so happy?

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sasha,
    Thank you for entering the contest that beso.com sponsored on The Clothes Horse. We invite you to enter another contest we're running where you can win pair of Hunter Boots. Our Style Director, Emily Schuman (of cupcakesandcashmere.com) is giving away 6 different pair. Check it out at: http://www.beso.com/style-director-contest/

    Thanks again,
    Beso.com

    ReplyDelete