Thursday, February 4, 2010

More Time Than Money

I got invited, rather last-minute, to a baby shower this weekend. With only one week to come up with a gift, and absolutely no desire to hit the stores for a mass-marketed gift, I decided to make one from scratch. Luckily the weather has been overcast and rainy/snowy the last couple of days, so sitting inside sewing while catching up on my Hulu queue was not unpleasant.

Snow early this morning.

The shower is for a good friend of mine, who I don't get to see too often, so I wanted the gift to be unique. I decided to make a toy rabbit. Its not finished, but I think it's going to be cute. I'm planning on putting a little lavender sachet in the body so that it smells nice and helps the baby sleep. (I haven't heard if its a boy or girl, so I'm trying to make a neutral rabbit). I also wanted it to be soft, and safe for chewing (I'm giving it to a newborn), and for it to be entirely made of things I already had in my sewing box. I'm using fabric from an old pair of pants and some felt left over from another project. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to stuff it with.

Stuffed toy in progress.

I'll post the finished product when I complete it. Probably this weekend.

1 comment: